Monday, December 03, 2012

Anne Marie's Banana Bread

I rediscovered a binder of recipes I put together while in a college home ec class, and it turns out, I saved some really good recipes I'd long since thought I'd forgotten.  But I have them!  And I will now be transcribing them to my blog, for greater utility and longer use.  I start with the recipe for what I recall as some seriously amazing banana bread (at least as made by a former neighbor at Moon Apartments, 2000 - 2001, named Anne Marie, who was smiley and sweet and I cannot for the life of me remember her last name).  Here's to 2000 and to Anne Marie.

Anne Marie's Banana Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 1/4 C sugar (or just less, maybe 1 C, of honey)
1/2 C butter, softened (or applesauce)

Mix.

Add 2 eggs.

Beat.

Add 4 mashed medium bananas (1 1/2 C banana mush).
1/2 C milk
1 t vanilla

Mix.

Add 2 1/2 C flour (can substitute in some, but probably not most, whole wheat flour)
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

Mix.

Mix in chocolate chips until batter is just moistened.

Pour batter into two loaf pans with bottoms greased.  Bake bread on low racks until it bounces back to touch.  (1 hour or so.)

Note: Today I used this recipe for the chocolate chips, because I made the bread on a day when I wasn't eating sugar (substituted honey for sweeteners in both the chips and the bread): http://www.traditional-foods.com/recipes/homemade-chocolate-chips/.

Note two: Yes, this was just as I remembered it--moist, silky, and delicious.

No comments: